The university encourages informal resolution to a complaint or work-related concerns employees may have either with their supervisor or within their department.  Below are the most commonly asked questions concerning the university procedures for resolving complaints in the work place. Below you will also find the steps for filing a complaint.

Should I discuss my complaint with my supervisor?
We encourage all employees to first speak with their supervisor and give the supervisor an opportunity to address the issue.  However, if your complaint involves your current supervisor and you do not feel comfortable discussing it with him/her, you are encouraged to contact the next level supervisor/department head or you may contact Employee & Labor Relations.
What if I am not satisfied with my supervisor's decision?
If you are not satisfied with the decision your supervisor has made, you have the option to contact the next level supervisor or Employee & Labor Relations for assistance.  If you contact ELR, a representative will meet with you to discuss the nature of your complaint and recommend solutions to the matter at hand.
Are my conversations with Human Resources confidential?
If an employee requests that the meeting be kept confidential, we will oblige to the extent allowed under law.  If an employee discloses illegal activity, including discrimination or sexual harassment, we are duty bound to report such matters and conduct full scale investigations.  We will make every attempt to keep the complainant’s identity anonymous but we cannot make such guarantees.
What protection do I have against retaliation?
Retaliation against an employee who has filed a complaint is prohibited.  If you feel you have been the subjected of retaliation, you should contact Employee & Labor Relations immediately.


Procedures for filing a complaint
Step 1: Discuss your concerns with your supervisor.  You should clearly communicate your issues and suggest a remedy to your complaint. Your supervisor will take this information into account and notify you of his/her decision.
Step 2: If you are not satisfied with your supervisor’s decision, you should bring the matter to the next-level supervisor with the complete explanation of your dissatisfaction of your supervisor’s decision.
Step 3: If you are not satisfied with the second-level supervisor’s response, you may contact a representative in Employee & Labor Relations.
About Us Carrier Oppurtunities Departments Home The FIU Experience Organizational Chart Departments The FIU Experience